Make a Domestic Violence Safety Plan by Considering the Following


On the internet:

I’ll click the gold HIDE PAGE button at the top of the Hope House homepage to be taken to a safe website if my abuser enters the room while I’m visiting

I’ll be aware of the fact that my online activities are potentially being monitored.

I am aware that an abuser doesn’t need to be a computer programmer or have special skills to monitor my computer and internet activities.

I will use a safe computer at the public library or a trusted friend’s home to research an escape plan, look for new jobs or apartments, purchase bus tickets, or seek help.

I will make sure to say no if my email provider wants to save my password or keep me logged in locally.

I will choose passwords that are not easy to guess.

I will call the hotline (816-461-4673) if I’m in danger. I can call it if I need shelter, assistance with safety planning, or somebody to talk with.

I will save emails or messages that can serve as evidence of abuse.


At work:

I can tell my boss and the security supervisor about my situation.

I can ask a supervisor or co-worker to screen my calls and visitors at work.

I can ask a supervisor, co-worker, or other trusted person to walk with me to my car.

I can change my patterns such as using different transportation, changing my route, or changing my work schedule/location if needed.


In public or if being stalked:

If I think I am in danger, I will find a safe place for myself (police stations, family or friends’ homes, domestic violence shelters, churches, public areas).

I can document my abuser’s actions and keep the information in a safe place. This may include taking photos of destroyed property/vandalism, saving voicemail messages, keeping letters/notes, etc.

I can change my patterns — avoid stores, restaurants, and other places where my abuser might find me.

I can tell trusted friends and family about the situation and give them a photo or description of my partner and any possible vehicles he/she may drive.

When I am out of the house, I will try not to travel alone and will try to stay in public areas. I can ask my local domestic violence shelter to provide me with a 911 cell phone.


With an order of protection:

I will keep my protection order in my purse or on my person.

I will give a copy to my employer, my closest friend, and my children’s school/day care provider.

If my partner/abuser destroys my order or if I lose it, I will get another copy from the court that issued it.

If my abuser violates the order, I can call the police and report it. I can contact the adult abuse office during business hours for help in knowing if my order was served.


If choosing to stay/return:

I can tell a neighbor, friend or relative about the violence and request they call the police if they hear concerning noises coming from my home.

I can teach my children how to use the telephone to contact the police and fire departments and how to contact a safe neighbor for help. I will make sure my children know our address.

I will use a code word to signal to my children or friends to call for help or to signal that we will be leaving.

If I have to leave home, I can go to the police station, hospital, a friend or family’s home, or other safe place.

I can call 911 from a cell phone, even if it isn’t active on a plan.


Evaluate your options:

I will be smart about whom I trust with information about my situation.

I will review my safety plan for domestic violence with my kids, family, and friends and keep it in a safe place.