Sometimes knowing if someone is abusive or not can be difficult. We put together a list of common warning signs or “red flags” to watch out for.
Know The Signs
Does Not Honor Your Boundaries
- Wants to move too quickly into the relationship
- Excessive jealousy and accuses you of having affairs
- Wants to know where you are all the time
- Calls, emails, and texts you excessively throughout the day
- Insists that you stop spending time with your friends or family
Says One Thing & Does Another
- Criticizes you or puts you down; commonly tells you that you’re "crazy," "stupid" and/or "fat"
- Tells you no one else would ever want or love you
- Takes no responsibility for their behavior and blames others
- Will suddenly rage out of control and act impulsively
Past has Inconsistencies
- Blames the entire failure of previous relationships on their partner; for example, "My ex was a total bitch"
- Has a history of battering
- Grew up in an abusive or violent home
- Seems “Too Good to be True”